Learn More About This Piece of Equipment
Power to move more trees, dirt, and most forest debris with speed and precision
Hydraulic horsepower is the actual machine power available to do work through implements and work tools. It’s much more than just the engine power under the hood - it’s a core strength that differentiates Cat® machines from other brands. In fact, hydraulic horsepower for the 568 increased from the previous series’ output due to pump and other system improvements. This translates into moving more material in less time.
Main Control Valve and Auxiliary Valves
The 568 uses a high-pressure system to tackle the toughest of work in short order. A new one-piece, cast-block, back-to-back main control valve features resized and reshaped oil passages to improve efficiency and serviceability; stackable auxiliary valve attachments mount on top of the main valve, which allows for auxiliary hydraulic lines and valve configurations to be simplified for greater reliability.
The return filter is a capsule-type design with a cartridge inside. Unlike many competitors’ offerings, the Cat cartridge features a handle to help remove and change without oil spillage or contamination. A sensor attached to the filter warns the operator if it is plugging or exceeds a certain pressure level.
Swing Priority Circuit
The swing priority circuit on the 568 uses a new electric valve that’s operated by the machine’s improved Electronic Control Module (ECM). Compared to using a hydraulic valve, an electric valve allows for more finely tuned control, which is critical during material loading.
Electric Boom Regeneration Valve
A new electric boom regeneration valve minimizes pump flow when the boom lowers down, which improves fuel economy. It is optimized for any dial speed setting being used by the operator, which in turn aids controllability and enhances component durability.
Stick Regeneration Circuit
The 568 regenerates the flow of oil from the rod end of the stick cylinder to the head end of the stick cylinder during low-load, stick-in operation - an approach that saves energy and expense.
Comfort and convenience to keep people productive
A new seat range includes air suspension, heated standard, and heated and air cooled option. Each seat includes a reclining back, upper and lower seat slide adjustments, and height and tilt angle adjustments to meet operator needs for comfort and productivity.
The right and left joystick consoles can be adjusted to meet the operator’s desired preference, making him (or her) more comfortable and productive during the course of a day. With the touch of the button, one-touch idle reduces engine speed to help save fuel; touch it again or move the joystick and the machine returns to normal operating level. The optional heavy lift mode increases machine system pressure to improve lift - a nice benefit in certain situations. Heavy lift mode also reduces engine speed and pump flow in order to improve controllability.
The 568 is equipped with a new LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor that’s 40% bigger than the previous model’s with higher resolution for better visibility. In addition to an improved keypad and added functionality, it is programmable to provide information in a choice of 42 languages to support today’s diverse workforce. A new “Engine Shutdown Setting” accessible through the monitor allows owners and operators to specify how long the machine should idle before shutting down the engine, which can save significant amounts of fuel.
MP3-Ready Radio and Power Supply
The standard radio is equipped with a new auxiliary audio port for MP3 players. Two 12-volt power supply sockets are located near key storage areas for charging.
Storage spaces are provided to the front and rear of the right-side console to hold small items.
Automatic Climate Control
An updated climate control system helps provide a comfortable working environment in the 568. Improved AC ducting provides increased airflow and operator comfort. A standard sun screen provides reduced sun glare and heat build up in cab.
Reduced emissions, economical and reliable performance
Cat® C9.3 ACERT™ Engine
The C9.3 ACERT engine delivers more horsepower using less fuel than the previous series engine.
The C9.3 ACERT engine is equipped to meet current Tier 4 Interim emissions standards. Driven by customer input, Cat aftertreatment regeneration solution ensures the machine works as normal with no operator intervention needed. The machine comes with two programmable modes of operation: automatic and manual regeneration. In automatic mode, the machine starts the regeneration process once the filtering system reaches a certain level and conditions are optimal. The system will not interrupt the work process and can regenerate during machine operation. Manual mode enables the operator to override the automatic mode. With a touch of a button (1) inside the cab, this mode allows the operator to move the machine from sensitive work areas before initiating the regeneration process.
Bio Diesel-Ready Fuel System
The C9.3 ACERT engine is equipped with a high-pressure common rail fuel system that includes a new electric priming pump and three-layer fuel hose to allow the use of bio fuel up to B20 (bio fuel 20% mixture).
The high-ambient cooling system features side-by-side-mounted radiator and oil and air coolers for easy cleaning and a new Flexxaire variable pitch, auto reversing fan for enhanced energy efficiency as standard equipment.
Speed and Power Control
The new 568 features isochronous speed control to maintain a constant speed - regardless of load - to improve fuel economy. Three different power modes are offered: high power, standard power, and economy power. The operator can easily change between modes through the monitor or console switch to meet the needs for the job at hand - all to help manage and conserve fuel.
Structures and Undercarriage
Built to work in rugged forestry environments
The upper frame includes new reinforced mountings to support the Roll-Over Protective Structure (ROPS) cab; the lower frame is reinforced to increase component durability.
A longer undercarriage system provides added stability in the most demanding applications. Heavy-duty track rollers, and carrier rollers, press-fit pin master joints, and enhanced track shoe bolts improve durability and reduce the risk of machine downtime and the need and cost to replace components. A new full length guiding guard maintains track alignment and improves performance and undercarriage life in multiple applications. A redesigned motor housing prevents mud packing and debris buildup around seals.
Two counterweight options are available for General Forestry: 6.0 MT and 8.3 MT. The 8.3 MT counterweight is standard on the Log Loader configuration. Each is designed to match the height of the machine, and each comes with new integrated links that enable easy removal for maintenance. Regardless of choice, counterweights are bolted directly to the main frame using four M36 bolts for rigidity.
Made for high stress and long service life
Booms, Sticks and Heels
The 568 offers both General Forestry and Log Loader booms and sticks. Each is built with internal baffle plates for added durability, quality and reliability. Large box-section structures with thick, multi-plate fabrications, castings, and forgings are used in high-stress areas to improve durability.
There are two General Forestry, two Log Loader boom and stick, and three heel options available to match a variety of forestry applications. There is also a DB-Family Bucket Linkage available for the General Forestry configurations.
Grapple, Dig, and Thumb with confidence
An extensive range of tools can be fit up to the 568 includes grapples, buckets and thumbs. Each is designed to optimize the versatility and performance of your machine.
A thumb control group can be fit up to the General Forestry, and Butt-n-Top and Power Clam hydraulics can be installed on the Log Loader. Several different boom and stick line groups are available as options on the 568 for running various work tool attachments.
GLL Logging Grapples
The Cat brand offers a complete line of shovel and loading grapples. These are available in 52", 55" and 60" sizes to meet a range of application requirements.
Cat buckets are designed for better performance. The leading edge has been pushed forward, resulting in more efficient filling and better operator control for greatly improved productivity. Wear coverage in the corners and side cutter and sidebar protector coverage are improved; a new lift eye design accepts a wide range of shackle sizes.
Quick couplers allow one person to change work tools in seconds for maximum performance and flexibility on a job site. One machine can move rapidly from task to task, and a fleet of similarly equipped machines can share a common work tool inventory.
Solutions that make work easier and more efficient
Electric Boom and Stick Regeneration Valve
The 568 features unique electric boom and stick regeneration valves. The valves use gravity during typical “boom down” or “stick in” operations to regenerate flow of oil from the head end of the cylinder to the rod end of the cylinder instead of sending it all the way back to the hydraulic tank. This distinct Cat solution increases efficiency and reduces cycle times and pressure loss for higher productivity and lower fuel costs.
Main Control Valve
The 568 uses a high pressure hydraulic system as standard. It is a one-piece, cast-block, back-to-back (BTB) control valve, improving efficiency and serviceability versus the previous series machines. Auxiliary valves are stackable and mounted on top of the main valve, which simplifies, and leads to greater reliability. Fuel consumption is reduced by re-sizing and shaping of the oil passages inside the new BTB valve.
Flexxaire Auto-Reversing Fan
The cooling system’s new variable pitch reversible fan is controlled by hydraulic temperature, coolant temperature, and ATAAC charge air temperature in different ambient conditions to optimize cooling. The fan has a pitch sensor that is controlled by the Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Cat Product Link*
This deeply integrated machine monitoring system is designed to help customers improve their overall fleet management effectiveness. Events and diagnostic codes as well as hours, fuel consumption, idle time, machine location, and other detailed information are transmitted to a secure web based application called VisionLink™, which uses powerful tools to communicate to users and dealers. *Product Link licensing is not available in all areas. Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
Fast, easy and safe access built in
The machine is designed to accommodate servicing most maintenance items from the safety and comfort of ground level.
Wider, taller service doors feature sturdier hinges and latches and a new slotted hole vent design to prevent debris entry; a new one-piece hood provides easier access to the engine and cooling compartments along with a new hood screen design to prevent debris entry.
The radiator, pump, and air cleaner compartments provide easy access to major components. When an air cleaner plugs, a warning is displayed on the monitor inside the cab.
Other Service Improvements
The water separator with water level sensor has a primary fuel filter element located in the pump compartment near ground level; the electric priming pump is mounted on the primary filter base and is more reliable and easier to service than traditional hand-priming pumps. The engine oil check gauge is situated in front of the engine compartment and is easy to remove. The engine oil filter is situated in the pump compartment for easy access. Changing engine oil is simple due to a drain cock designed to prevent spills. The 568 has two fuel tanks as standard equipment, reducing refill intervals. Drain cocks are provided to make it easy to remove water and sediment during maintenance.
Features to help protect people
The upper frame is reinforced to accommodate the ROPS cab.
Improved sealing and cab roof lining help lower noise levels during machine operation.
The surface of the upper structure and the top of fuel tank area are covered with anti-skid plates to help prevent service personnel and operators from slipping during maintenance.
Steps, Hand and Guard Rails
Steps on the track frame and storage box along with extended hand and guard rails to the upper deck enable operators to work securely on the machine.
The 568 is equipped with a new forestry cab that is certified to:
- OPS - ISO 8083 and SAE J231
- FOPS - ISO 8084 and SAE 1084
- FOGS - SAE J1356
- ROPS - ISO 3471:1997 Table 1, Section 1
- TOPS - OR-OSHA code 437-007-0775
- WCB G602/G603/G604/G608 compliant
The 568 offers parallel type windshield wipers with both continuous and intermittent modes to fit varied precipitation levels.
Monitor Warning System
The monitor is equipped with a buzzer that can warn an operator of critical events like “Engine Oil Pressure Decrease,” “Coolant Temperature High” or “Hydraulic Oil Temperature High,” allowing for immediate action to take place.
Complete Customer Care
Service you can count on
Cat dealers utilize a worldwide parts network to minimize machine downtime. Plus you can save money with Cat remanufactured components.
Make detailed comparisons of machines you are considering. What are the job requirements and machine attachments? What production is needed? Your Cat dealer can provide recommendations.
Consider financing options and day-to-day operating costs. Look at dealer services that can be included in the machine’s cost to yield lower owning and operating costs over time.
Customer Support Agreements
Cat dealers offer a variety of customer support agreements and work with you to develop a plan to meet specific needs. These plans can cover the entire machine, including attachments, to help protect your investment.
Improving operating techniques can boost your profits. Your Cat dealer has videos, literature, and other ideas to help you increase productivity. Caterpillar also offers simulators and certified operator training to help maximize the return on your investment.
Repair, rebuild, or replace? Your Cat dealer can help you evaluate the cost involved so you can make the right choice.
Generations ahead in every way
- The C9.3 ACERT engine, along with the Cat Clean Emissions Module (CEM), meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Interim, emissions standards.
- The 568 generates more horsepower, lifts more payload, and burns less fuel than the previous series machine, which means more efficiency and productivity with less resource consumption and fewer CO2 emissions.
- The 568 has the flexibility of running on either ultra‑low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel with 15 ppm of sulfur or less or bio diesel (B20) fuel blended with ULSD.
- The 568 is equipped with one-touch idle to reduce engine speed quickly and conveniently conserving fuel.
- The 568 is built to be rebuilt with major structures and components remanufactured to reduce waste and replacement costs.
- The 568 is an efficient, productive machine that’s designed to conserve our natural resources for generations ahead.
- Engine Model
- Cat® C9.3 (ATAAC)
- Net Flywheel Power
- Gross Power
- Maximum Torque
- Number of Cylinders
- Rated Power
- Rated Speed
- Log Loader (U/U)
- Log Loader (O/U)
- General Forestry
Service Refill Capacities
- Cooling System
- Engine Oil
- Hydraulic Tank
- Final Drive - Each
- Fuel Tank Capacity - Main
- Fuel Tank Capacity - RF
- Fuel Tank Capacity - Total
- Hydraulic System - Total
- Swing Drive (General Forestry)
- Swing Drive (Log Loader 2x)
- ISO 10265:1998 ISO 11512:1995
- ISO 8083:1989 LEVEL I ISO 8083:1989 LEVEL II*
- Maximum Pressure - Implements
- Pilot System - Maximum Flow
- Pilot System - Maximum Pressure
- Auxiliary Pump - Maximum Flow - Capacity
- Auxiliary Pump - Maximum Flow - Factory Setting
- Auxiliary Pump - Maximum Pressure - Capacity
- Auxiliary Pump - Maximum Pressure - Factory Setting
- General Forestry - Boom Cylinder - Bore
- General Forestry - Boom Cylinder - Stroke
- General Forestry - Bucket Cylinder - Bore
- General Forestry - Bucket Cylinder - Stroke
- General Forestry - Stick Cylinder - Bore
- General Forestry - Stick Cylinder - Stroke
- Log Loader - Boom Cylinder - Bore
- Log Loader - Boom Cylinder - Stroke
- Log Loader - Bottom Heel Cylinder - Bore
- Log Loader - Bottom Heel Cylinder - Stroke
- Log Loader - Stick Cylinder - Bore
- Log Loader - Stick Cylinder - Stroke
- Log Loader - Top Heel Cylinder - Bore
- Log Loader - Top Heel Cylinder - Stroke
- Main Pump System - Maximum Flow (2x)
- Maximum Pressure - Swing (dual)
- Maximum Pressure - Swing (single)
- Maximum Drawbar Pull
- Maximum Travel Speed
- Number of Carrier Rollers (each side)
- Number of Shoes (each side)
- Number of Track Rollers (each side)
- Maximum Drawbar Pull
- Maximum Speed High Range
- Maximum Swing Speed - General Forestry
- Maximum Swing Speed - Log Loader
- Operator Height from Ground (eye level) - General Forestry Cab 0.48 m (18 in) Riser
- Operator Height from Ground (eye level) - Log Loader Cab 1.2 m (48 in) Riser
- Swing Torque - General Forestry
- 84024.0lb ft
- Swing Torque - Log Loader
- 109560.0lb ft
- Ground Clearance
- Track Gauge
- Track Length
- Undercarriage Pitch
- Undercarriage Size
- Power Train
- Cat® C9.3 ATAAC engine
- Meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Interim emissions standards
- Bio Diesel capable
- 2300 m (7,500 ft) altitude capability
- Electric priming fuel pump
- 2×4 micron main filters and 1×10 micron primary filter in fuel line
- 24-volt electric starting
- Air intake heater
- Automatic engine speed control with one touch low idle
- Water separator in fuel line
- Two speed auto-shift travel
- Easy clean cooling system with full screens
- Flexxaire auto reversing fan
- High ambient cooling capacity, 48° C (118° F)
- Side by side cores
- Starting aid cold weather starting package with two additional batteries, HD starter, ether and block heater
- Hydraulic System
- Regeneration circuit for boom and stick
- Reverse swing dampening valve
- Automatic swing parking brake
- High performance hydraulic return filter
- Capability of installing HP stackable valve and medium and QC valve
- Standard auxiliary pump adjustable to 108 L/min (28.5 gal/min)
- Capability of installing boom lowering control device and stick lowering check valve
- Capability of installing Cat Bio hydraulic oil
- Straddle mounted carrier rollers
- Heavy duty track motor guard
- Heavy duty track rollers (10 per side)
- Heavy duty recoil mechanism
- 345 HD, GLT4 Track
- Idler track guiding guards
- Full length track shoe support
- GFT80 high drawbar FD
- Towing eye on base frame
- 80 ampere alternator
- 4 front working lights cab top mounted
- 1 left side working light
- 2 right front working lights
- 2 riser mounted lights
- 1 rear working light
- Pre-start monitoring system (engine oil, coolant hydraulic oil)
- Operator Environment
- Purpose built forestry cab with scratch resistant polycarbonate windows, ISO 8084 and SAE 1084 certified OPS, ISO 8083 and SAE J231 certified FOPS, and SAE J1356 certified FOGS, OR-OSHA code 437-0775 TOPS and WCB G602/G603/G604/G608
- ROPS: ISO 3471:1997 Table 1, Section 1
- Seat KAP 527P, air suspension, heated seat, retractable seatbelt and headrest
- Integrated seat, console and joystick type controls
- Language display monitor with gauges, Warning information, filter/fluid change information, machine condition, error code and tool mode setting information, start up level check for hydraulic oil and engine coolant
- Full time clock on monitor (2 weeks)
- Seat mounted joystick with extra functions for grapple
- Fixed polycarbonate skylight with retractable sun shade, meeting SAE J1084
- Interior lighting
- Lower and upper windshield wipers and washer
- Positive filtered ventilation, pressurized cab with bi-level air conditioner, heater and defroster with manual control
- Forced air fan
- Behind seat storage tray with tie down points
- 2 CB radio mounts
- 1 fire extinguisher mount
- 1 attachment computer control mount
- Secondary roof exit openable from inside and outside
- 2 coat hooks
- Ashtray with lighter
- Literature holder
- Cup holder
- Neutral lever (lockout) for all controls
- Travel control pedals with removable hand levers
- Washable floor mat
- Radio/CD player (12V)
- 1 converter/2 sockets - 12V-10A power supply
- Includes 50% concentration with protection of -34° C (-30° F)
- Other Standard Equipment
- Heavy duty upper frame with catwalks
- Heavy duty bottom guard
- Heavy duty side doors
- Core hydraulic lines and controls with standard main valves on upper structures
- Door and cover locks with Cat one key security system
- Automatic swing parking brake
- Fully pressurized hydraulic system
- Fine swing control travel alarm
- Counterweight with lifting eye
- Right front corner guard
- Right front corner fuel tank and standard fuel tank
- 321SR Product Link
- Booms, Sticks And Linkages
- Thumb control
- Line Groups
- Other Attachments
- Straight travel pedal
- Auxiliary drive
- International - ISO films
- Field Installed Attachments
- Kit, AEM cab installation
- Kit, Butt-N-Top installation