815K Soil Compactor
Cat Soil Compactors are designed with durability built in, ensuring maximum availability through multiple life cycles. With optimized performance and simplified serviceability, our machines allow you to operate more efficiently and safely. Representing a long-standing commitment to quality and performance, this rugged, powerful machine is designed and built for heavy-duty compaction and dozing operations. Focused on helping our customers succeed, we have continued to build upon each new series. The 815K continues our legacy of reliability, performance, safety, operator comfort, serviceability, and efficiency.
Learn More About This Piece of Equipment
Efficiency and Productivity
Delivering the efficiency and productivity you demand through integrated machine systems.
Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS)
The new APECS is designed to improve transmission shifting performance, providing a higher level of comfort for the operator and increasing productivity.
The left pedal acts as a brake, transmission neutralizer and an engine decelerator to override the engine speed selected by the throttle lock. This enables the operator to slow down when the throttle lock is engaged and to return to throttle lock without pressing a resume or set button again. This aids in maneuvering around trucks, tractors or any other obstacle.
Electro Hydraulic Controls
Operators increase productivity with our responsive implements feature.
- Operate comfortably through electronically controlled hydraulic cylinder stops
- Handle easy-to-use soft detent controls
Confident machine operation starts with precise machine control enabled by the 815K’s load sensing hydraulic steering system.
- Increase efficiency with our variable displacement piston pumps
- Achieve precise positioning for easy loading in tight areas with 42 degrees each way of steering articulation
- Enhance operator comfort with integrated steering and transmission control functions
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Purpose-built from the ground up for the toughest conditions.
The 815K is specifically designed and made with purpose built structures to remain safe and durable for the long run. Advanced design, materials and robotic welding contribute to increased durability and overall machine strength.
Your bottom line is improved by highly durable structures that achieve multiple life cycles and withstand the toughest loading conditions.
- Full box-section rear frame resists torsional shock and twisting forces
- Heavy-duty steering cylinder mounts efficiently transmit steering loads into the frame
- Axle mounting has been optimized for increased structural integrity
Engine and Power Train
Operate more efficiently with improved power and control.
Cat Planetary Powershift Transmission
Building your success begins with a best-in-class transmission.
- Consistent, smooth shifting and efficiency through integrated electronic controls that utilize Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS).
- Long life and reliability through heat treat gear and metallurgy.
- Three forward and three reverse speeds to match your application.
Engine and Emissions
The Cat C7.1 ACERT engine is designed for maximum fuel efficiency and increased power density. Two engine options are available to meet Tier 4 Final/Stage IV or Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent emission standards. This engine features innovative Cat electronics, fuel injection process, air-management systems and aftertreatment solution with Cat Selective Catalytic Reduction. While in operation, the aftertreatment will be seamless to the operator thanks to the passive regeneration system which is utilized.
Efficient Systems and Components
Innovative systems intelligently lower the average working engine speeds and reduce the overall system heat loads which result in significantly improved performance and fuel efficiency.
Advanced Systems with Innovative Integration
The deep system integration of the new engine and emissions system, power train, hydraulic system and cooling system result in lower fuel consumption on average compared to previous models.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)
Cat engines equipped with an SCR system inject DEF into the exhaust to reduce NOx emissions. DEF is a precisely mixed solution of 32.5% high purity chemical grade urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF used in Cat SCR systems must meet the requirements outlined in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard 22241-1.
Next Generation Fuel Systems
Cat injection timing precisely controls the fuel injection process through a series of carefully timed microbursts, providing more control of combustion for the cleanest, most efficient fuel burn. On the 815K the high pressure common rail fuel systems boost performance and reduce soot for the C7.1 ACERT engine.
Cat NOx Reduction System
The Cat NOx Reduction System (NRS) captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it back into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
To meet the additional 80% reduction in NOx emissions required by Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards, one new system, the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), has been added to the already proven Cat Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB aftertreatment solution.
Tamping Wheels and Tips
The heart of any compaction system.
Chevron Tamping Tip Design
The modified chevron tamping wheel tip design provides greater ground pressure, more compaction, excellent traction and a smooth ride.
Compaction is achieved from the bottom of the lift to the top. The tapered tips walk out of the lift without “fluffing” the soil. The top of the lift is compacted and the surface is relatively smooth and sealed so hauling units are able to maintain a high speed when traveling over the fill. The 815K travel speed allows four forces of compaction: pressure, manipulation, impact and vibration. Since the 815K can also spread fill, the number of spreader tractors may be able to be reduced.
Symmetrical Tamping Tip Pattern
Equal compaction in forward or reverse is the result of the symmetrical tamping tip pattern. Tips are full perimeter and replaceable. The tip is welded to a base assembly, which then is welded directly to the drum.
Each wheel has two cleaner bars to keep the drums free of carryover dirt, regardless of rolling direction so efficiency is maximized. Cleaner bars are available with standard or abrasive tips depending upon the application.
Adjustable Cleaner Bar Tip
The adjustable cleaner bar tips are heat-treated and direct hardened, cutting edge steel to increase wear life, which translates into lower operating costs.
Best-in-class operator comfort and ergonomics.
Your operators can work more efficiently and stay comfortable with our customer-inspired cab features.
Your operator’s productivity is enhanced with our clean, comfortable cab environment.
- Experience reduced vibrations from isolation cab mounts and seat air suspension
- Maintain desired cab temperature with automatic temperature controls
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Reduced sound levels
- Convenient floor storage tray/lunch box
Cat Comfort Series III Seat
Enhance comfort and help reduce operator fatigue with Cat Comfort Series III seat.
- Mid back design and extra thick, contoured cushions
- Air suspension system
- Easy-to-reach seat levers and controls for six way adjustments
- Seat-mounted implement pod and STIC steer that moves with the seat
- 76 mm (3 in) wide retractable seat belt
Ergonomic placement of switches and information display keep your operators comfortable all day every day.
- Large backlit membrane switches feature LED activation indicators
- Switches feature ISO symbols for quick function identification
- Two position rocker switch activates the electro hydraulic park brake
Steering and Transmission Integrated Control System (STIC™)
Enter and exit the cab easily and safely with a new fold up STIC armrest.
Experience maximum responsiveness and control with STIC that combines directional selection, gear selection and steering into a single lever.
- Simple side-to-side motion turns machine right or left, minimizing operator movements
- Easy to operate finger controlled gear selection
- Smoother, faster cycles help reduce operator fatigue through the use of low effort integrated controls
Monitor, manage, and enhance job site operations.
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you’ll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
Cat Connect technologies offers improvements in these key areas: Equipment Management – increase uptime and reduce operating costs. Productivity – monitor production and manage job site efficiency. Safety – enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe.
COMPACT technologies combine advanced compaction measurement, in-cab guidance and reporting capabilities to help you consistently meet compaction targets fast, uniformly, and in fewer passes – saving on fuel and the cost of unnecessary rework.
Cat Compaction Control
The factory Cat Compaction Control system uses Machine Drive Power (MDP) technology to measure rolling resistance and correlates it with soil stiffness. MDP works in both cohesive or granular soils. Optional 3D mapping system maps compaction measurements to the precise location the operator is working, providing a real-time view of progress, and a record of compaction uniformity.
LINK technologies wirelessly connect you to your equipment, giving you valuable insight into how your machine or fleet is performing so you can make timely, fact-based decisions that can boost job site efficiency and productivity.
Product Link is deeply integrated into your machine, giving you access to timely information like machine location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes via the online VisionLink user interface can help you effectively manage your fleet and lower operating costs.
DETECT technologies help keep people and equipment safe by enhancing operator awareness of the work area around working equipment and by monitoring and reporting unsafe conditions, like avoidance zones.
Rear Vision Camera
A rear vision camera greatly enhances visibility behind the machine to help the operator work more productively. Work with greater confidence and at peak potential while keeping people and assets safe.
Making your safety our priority.
We are constantly improving our products in an effort to provide a safe work environment for the operator and those who work on your job site.
- Railings, ladders and non-slip surfaces enhance technician and operator safety
- Maintain three points of contact at all times through ground level or platform accessible service areas
- Rearview camera with in-cab monitor increases operator awareness around the machine
- Standard cab mounted LED warning strobes
- Optional heated mirrors ensure enhanced visibility for safe operation
- Optional LED lights provide excellent workspace visibility
- Reduced vibrations to the operator with isolated cab mounts and seat mounted implement and steering controls
- Low interior sound levels
- Pressurized cab with filtered air
- Standard 76 mm (3 in) seat belts on the operator seat
Stewards of the environment.
Reducing the Impact to the Environment
The 815K is an efficient, productive machine that's designed to conserve our natural resources for generations ahead.
- Engine Idle Shutdown can help you save fuel by avoiding unnecessary idling.
- Reduce waste to the environment with our maintenance free batteries.
- The high speed oil change is standard and ensures fast, easy, and secure changing of the engine oil.
- The 815K is built to be rebuilt with major structures and components capable of being remanufactured to reduce waste and replacement costs.
Enabling high uptime by reducing your service time.
We can help you succeed by ensuring your 815K has design features to reduce your downtime.
- Safe and convenient service with ground level or platform access to daily service points.
- Swing-out doors on both sides of the engine compartment provide easy access to important daily service checks.
- Ecology drains for ease of service and prevention of spills.
- Reduce downtime with VIMS™ system notifications so your operators and technicians can resolve any problems before failure.
- Quick visual inspection and minimize fluid contamination with sight gauges.
- Hydraulic oil cooler, air conditioner condenser, and fuel cooler grouped together for ease of access.
- Side access doors provided for cleanout of the cooling package.
- A new ground level service area includes a Master Disconnect Switch with integrated lock-out/tag-out, DEF purge lamp (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV machines only), circuit breakers, emergency fuel shutoff switch and the jump start receptacle.
- Centralized grease points for convenient maintenance.
Your Cat dealers know how to keep your machines productive.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
A valued partner, your Cat dealer is available whenever you need them.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Improve your efficiency with operator training
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts
Save time and money by working smart.
Data from customer machines show Cat Soil Compactors are among the most fuel efficient machines in the industry. Several features contribute to this excellent fuel efficiency:
- ACERT Engine – Advanced engine controls maximizes power and efficiency.
- Engine Idle Shutdown – Automatic engine and electrical system shutdown conserves fuel.
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS) – All new APECS transmission controls provides greater momentum on grades and fuel savings by carrying that momentum through the shift points.
- Fuel Tank Capacity minimum of 12 hours operation depending on the application.
- Engine Model
- Cat® C7.1 ACERT™: configured for two emissions options
- Net Power
- Meets U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV emission standards or meets U.S. EPA Tier 3/EU Stage IIIA equivalent emission standards
- Rated Power (SAE J1349) – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Rated Power (Net ISO 9249) – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Gross Power (SAE J1995) – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Gross Power (ISO 14396) – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Maximum Net Torque @ 1,400 rpm – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Torque Rise – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Rated Power (SAE J1349) – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Rated Power (Net ISO 9249) – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Gross Power (SAE J1995) – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Gross Power (ISO 14396) – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- High Idle Speed
- Low Idle Speed
- Maximum Net Torque @ 1,400 rpm – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Torque Rise – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Maximum Altitude without Derating
- Operating Weight
- Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV)
- Maximum Operating Weight (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent)
- Transmission Type
- Planetary – Powershift – ECPC
- Travel Speeds: Forward – First
- Travel Speeds: Forward – Second
- Travel Speeds: Forward – Third
- Travel Speeds: Reverse – First
- Travel Speeds: Reverse – Second
- Travel Speeds: Reverse – Third
- Pump Flow at 2,111 rpm
- Main Relief Pressure
- Maximum Supply Pressure
- Lift Cylinder, Double-acting: Bore and Stroke
- 101.6 mm × 627 mm (4 in × 24.7 in)
- Tilt Cylinder, Double-acting: Bore and Stroke
- 101.6 mm × 167 mm (4 in × 6.6 in)
Service Refill Capacities
- Cooling System – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV
- Engine Crankcase
- Fuel Tank
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Differentials and Final Drives – Front
- Differentials and Final Drives – Rear
- Hydraulic Tank Only
- Cooling System – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- All non-road Tier 4 Final and Stage IV diesel engines are required to use: – Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels containing 15 ppm for EPA and 10 ppm for EU (mg/kg) sulfur or less. Biodiesel blends up to B20 are acceptable when blended with 15 ppm for EP
- Planetary – Fixed
- Planetary – Oscillating
- Oscillation Angle
- Parking Brake
- Drum and Shoe, Spring Applied, Hydraulic Released
Cab – Standard
- Operator Sound Level (ISO 6396)
- Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 4/Stage IV
- Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
Cab – Suppression
- Operator Sound Level (ISO 6396)
- Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 4/Stage IV
- Machine Sound Level (ISO 6395) Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
Hydraulic System – Steering
- Steering System – Circuit
- Closed Center Load Sensing
- Steering System – Pump
- Piston – Variable Displacement
- Maximum System Flow
- 147 L/min @ 2,111 rpm (38.8 gal/min @ 2,111 rpm)
- Steering Pressure Limited
- Vehicle Articulation Angle
- 84 degrees
- Width – Moldboard Length
- Height Including Cutting Edge
- Maximum Depth of Cut
- Maximum Lift Above Ground
- Blade Tilt Angle – Right – Hydraulic
- Blade Tilt Angle – Left – Hydraulic
- Blade Tilt Adjustment – Right
- Blade Tilt Adjustment – Left
- Total Tilt Adjustment
- Width Over End Bits
- Outside Diameter
- Drum Diameter
- Drum Width
- Tips per Wheel
- Width over Drums
- Height to Top of Beacon
- Height to Top of Exhaust Pipe
- Height to Top of Hood
- Ground Clearance to Bumper
- Center Line of Rear Axle to Bumper
- Hitch to Center Line of Front Axle
- Length with Blade on Ground
- Ground Clearance
- Width over Wheels
- Height to Top of Cab Roof
- Turning Radius – Inside of Push Arms
- Power Train
- Advanced Productivity Electronic Control System (APECS)
- Air to air aftercooler
- Brakes, full hydraulic, enclosed, wet multiple disc service brakes
- Cat clean emission module (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Electro-hydraulic parking brake
- Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC)
- Engine, Cat C7.1 with ACERT Technology (configured for two emissions options): – Tier 4 Final/Stage IV – Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent
- Engine driven cooling fan – suction
- Fuel priming pump (electric)
- Fuel to air cooler
- Ground level engine shutoff
- Muffler (under hood) (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent only)
- Radiator, unit core
- Starting aid (ether)
- Throttle lock
- Torque converter
- Transmission, planetary, with 3F/3R speed range control
- Alarm, back-up
- Alternator, 150 amp
- Batteries, maintenance-free
- Electrical system, 24V
- Ground level lockable master disconnect switch
- Lights, directional (rear)
- Light, warning switched (LED strobe)
- Lighting system, (front and rear)
- Starter, electric
- Starting receptacle for emergency start
- Operator Environment
- 12V power port for mobile phone or laptop connection
- AccuGrade™ mapping (ready)
- Air conditioner
- Cab, sound-suppressed pressurized
- Cab door, sliding window (LH)
- Cat Compaction Control (ready)
- Cat Detect: Object Detection (ready)
- Coat and hard hat hooks
- Finger tip shifting controls
- Flip-up armrest
- Heater and defroster
- Horn, electric
- Hydraulic controls – seat mounted
- Implement hydraulic lockout
- Instrumentation, gauges: – DEF fluid level (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only) – Engine coolant temperature – Fuel level – Hydraulic oil temperature – Speedometer/tachometer – Torque converter temperature
- Instrumentation, warning indicators: – Action alert system, three categories – Brake oil pressure – Electrical system, low voltage – Engine failure malfunction alert and action lamp – Parking brake status
- Light, (dome) cab
- Lunch box and beverage holders
- Mirror, internal (panoramic)
- Mirrors, rearview (externally mounted)
- Radio ready for entertainment: – Antenna – Speakers – Converter (12V, 10-15 amp)
- Seat, Cat Comfort (cloth) air suspension
- Seat belt with minder, retractable, 76 mm (3 in) wide
- STIC control system with lockout
- Sun visor, front
- Tinted glass
- Transmission gear (indicator)
- Vital Information Management System (VIMS): – Graphical information display – External data port – Customizable operator profiles – Event indicator light on rear grill
- Wet-arm wipers/washers (front and rear): – Intermittent wipers (front and rear)
- Tires, Rims And Wheels
- Wheels, tamping foot
- Cleaner bars with teeth
- Guards, crankcase and power train
- Guard, driveshaft
- Antifreeze, premixed 50% concentration extended life (–34° C/–29° F)
- Other Standard Equipment
- DEF tank fill gauge
- Doors, service access (locking)
- Ecology drains for engine, radiator, transmission, hydraulic tank
- Engine, crankcase, 500 hour interval with CJ-4 oil
- Emergency platform egress
- Fire suppression ready
- Fuel tank, 500 L (132.1 gal)
- Hitch, drawbar with pin
- Hoses, Cat XT™
- Hydraulic, engine, and transmission oil coolers
- Oil change system, high speed
- Oil sampling valves
- Steering, load sensing
- Total hydraulic filtration system
- Vandalism protection caplocks
- Venturi stack
- Standard Attachments – Hydraulics
- Hydraulics: – Standard or EU and Canada
- Standard Attachments – Operator Environment
- Glass (window): – Standard bonded or rubber-mounted glass
- Precleaner – cab: – Standard or powered
- Seat – cab: – Standard or heated and ventilated
- Mirrors – cab: – Standard or heated
- Standard Attachments – Power Train
- Axles: – Standard or non-spin rear
- Standard Attachments – Special Arrangements
- Engine Precleaners: – Turbine or dual stage
- Standard Attachments – Electrical
- Lights: – Standard or LED
- Standard Attachments – Fuel Systems
- Fuel tank: – Non-fast or fast fill
- Standard Attachments – Technology Products
- Product Link: – GSM, satellite
- Standard Attachments – Cleaner Bars
- Cleaner bars: – Standard or abrasive
- Standard Attachments – Blades
- Blades: – Straight or tilt-straight
- Operator Environment
- Camera, rear vision
- Radio, AM/FM/AUX/USB/BLUETOOTH
- Radio, CB (ready)
- Technology Products
- Compaction control, basic
- Other Attachments
- Sound suppression (required for Brazil)
- Antifreeze, –50° C (–58° F)
- Starting Aids
- Heater, engine coolant, 120V
- Heater, engine coolant, 240V
- Film (ANSI) (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- EU certification (Tier 4 Final/Stage IV only)
- Plate – year of manufacture (Tier 3/Stage IIIA equivalent only)